Osteoporosis is a bone disease that causes bones to become weak and porous. Patients with osteoporosis are highly susceptible to back and hip pain, loss of height, and unexpected bone fractures, especially of the hips, ribs, and the spinal vertebrae, when undertaking normal daily routine activities. It is estimated that more than 50 million people in America have osteoporosis, mostly women.
However, there are several natural methods known to help improve osteoporosis symptoms:
1. Increased calcium and vitamin D intake
Calcium and vitamin D elements are essential elements in the human body and to many cell activities. Taking the recommended doses of calcium and vitamin D at a young age is beneficial to your health. It leads to peak bone mass development in adulthood, thereby reducing osteoporosis. Besides, calcium and vitamin D help reduce bone loss associated with bone loss, hence treating it.
2. Strength training exercise
A bone is a living tissue in the human body that responds to an exercise by becoming stronger hence keeping one safe from the dangerous osteoporosis condition. Before embarking on any form of exercise to treat osteoporosis, it is necessary to consult your doctor to test factors like fitness assessment and bone density measurements. Some of the best ways of strengthening exercises known to treat the condition are:
- Weight-bearing activities like jogging, dancing, stair climbing, low impact aerobics, and use of training machine
- Muscle training exercises, including lifting weights and the use of the weight machines.
3. Consuming fermented foods
From research, fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi and kombucha contain prebiotic supplements known to increase bone mass density. Besides, they consist of lactobacilli elements known to increase bone mineral density, which aids in treating and preventing osteoporosis.
4. Increase magnesium intake
More than 55% of magnesium found in the human body is located in the bones, which plays an essential role. Studies have shown a positive relationship between magnesium intake and bone mineral density, known to treat osteoporosis disease. People with osteoporosis, especially women and the elderly, are advised to take higher amounts of magnesium related foods to treat the condition.
5. Getting quality sleep
The quality of sleep is a lifestyle factor that has an impact on osteoporosis. Low sleeping habits have been proven to be the contributing factor to osteoporosis in many people. Sleep deprivation causes an imbalance in bone growth and bone remodeling, which increases bone fractures’ chances. People with osteoporosis are advised to get quality enough sleep to improve bone flexibility and treat osteoporosis.
Several factors are increasing the chances of developing osteoporosis, including:
- Existing medical conditions: Hyperthyroidism increases your odds of getting the disease. It is advisable to get check-ups regularly to avoid the disease if you have medical conditions.
- Certain medications: Some medicines like prednisone increase your vulnerability to the disease. When not under doctors prescription, avoid the medications
- Age- Advanced age is the most significant factor known to cause osteoporosis. The older you get, the higher the chances of getting the disease. This is because your body breaks down more bone than it can replace it with age.
- Gender: Research shows women are more highly susceptible to getting the disease than men. The primary reason behind the fact is that women’s bones are lighter, weaker, and thinner.
- Smoking and the use of excess alcohol: smoking, and alcoholism are not suitable for your health. The drugs put your body at a greater risk of getting osteoporosis bone condition. To be on the safe side, keep off drug abuse.
- Other risk factors include: Fewer mobility incidences caused by conditions like stroke or having undergone certain surgeries and bone fractures, as well as a family history of the disease.